martes, 21 de febrero de 2012

Strengths in the business world and personal life

Strengths vs Weaknesses ...
or just strengths??
I was having a conversation today with three of my MBA professors, and the topic on hand was how do each employee's strengths and weaknesses play into the work environment in an organization. Actually, how to get the best out of your strengths. You may ask: but what about my weaknesses, do I ignore them? Yes.

I remember about last month I was watching the Australian Open tennis grand slam, and the sixteen grand slam title holder and one of the best players in the history of the sport, Roger Federer was being interviewed by the ESPN team of analysts including Brad Gilbert and Patrick McEnroe. They were asking him about how we trains and what did his practice sessions look like nowadays that he is a veteran in the tour, meaning that at this stage it is likely he may not be focused on "improving" a certain aspect of his game, as say his backhand which has always been considered Roger's weakness. Roger's answer was an eye opener:

Roger Federer's strength -his forehand-
has helped him win 16 Grand Slams.
What can your strength do for you?
"I don't really focus on my backhand. I don't practice much of it in my sessions. I kind of concentrate more on my forehand." (which many consider not only Roger's greatest strength, but also the one of the greatest shots of all time in tenis). Roger also added: "I want to practice my forehand because it is my strength, so I want to work on it because it is my greatest weapon. The backhand, I just deal with it during a match." It was amazing to me that one of the greatest tennis players of all time had such a professional approach to the game of tennis and his work model. It is exactly the same reasoning I had acquired in my classes.

I guess it all makes sense when you think that you can exploit your talents when you develop and dedicate all your efforts to make yourself a better professional and a better person. Whether if it's that you are a terrific competitor, you are a relator, an analytical, communicative, responsible, or any other characteristic, the bottom line is that you have a talent inside and this is your strength. It is a quality that can make you become a difference in your organization, and can make you achieve that progress and professional growth you have always been looking for.

Take your time and get yourself an appointment for an assessment test, so you can find out what strengths do you possess and how can you take advantage of them.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario