jueves, 3 de marzo de 2016

Upcoming movies of 2016

Continuing my tradition of writing about the up and coming movies for the year -as the Oscars gave the official close to the 2015 season-, it's time to move on and see what 2016 has in line for us. But first, let's make a quick pass on what I wrote last year and what ended up happening:

Man from UNCLE

I had: low hopes
It ended up: better than what I expected



Fast and Furious 7

I had: no hopes. I mean, what can be said about the same movie repeated six times?
It ended up: Yep. Same movie, repeated six times.

Jurassic World

I had: low hopes:
It ended up: Slightly better than what I expected

Fantastic Four "reboot"

I had: zero hope
It ended up: turning up worse than zero hope

Terminator Genisys

I had: no idea how it would turn out!
It ended up: confirming what I said. The franchise should have ended with T2.

The revenant

I had: no comment
It ended up: giving Leonardo Di Caprio his first Oscar

Mad Max Fury Road

I had: hope it'd be able to top the original
It ended up: doing it

Straight outta Compton

I had: no comment -although I hope my readers correctly interpreted this a flattering compliment to do such an interesting film about Dr Dre and NWA
It ended up: confirming my suspicions

Ant Man

I had: high hopes
It ended up: completely fulfilling them and even better than I hoped.

Hateful Eight

I had: thoughts it would be a good film, but not as legendary as Pulp Fiction
It ended up: turning exactly as I thought.

Age of Ultron

I had: high hopes
It ended up: fulfilling them. Special compliment to Elizabeth Olsen for pulling a fantastic Scarlet Witch

Regression:

I had: high hopes
It ended up: way, way below them.

Entourage

I had: no idea how it would turn out
It ended up: disappointing

Vacation

I had: complete disgust on why did someone gave the go to reboot this
It ended up: confirming I was right

Creed

I had: oh come on....
It ended up: ok, I guess.

Steve Jobs

I had: thought it'd be a good biopic
It ended up: pretty much good

Hunger games Mockingjay part 2:

I had: no major comment on it, other than being the final chapter of this dreadful drama.
It ended up: becoming reality once Donald Trump announced his candidacy for US President

Macbeth

I had: thoughts on how Shakespeare plays never transition well into movies
It ended up: confirming them

Experimenter

I had: thought it'd be interesting
It ended up: being as dull as watching grass grow

The lobster

I had: thought it was the craziest plot ever, and no idea how it would turn out
It ended up: I haven't pulled myself together to watch this yet

and finally... The Force Awakens

I had: no thoughts
It ended up: completely destroying the Star Wars universe forever



and now for 2016........the most interesting movies ...



Great addition to the MCU
Deadpool

Although it has already been released -and has turned into a huge sensation- I have to say it's a real pleasure to see Hollywood bringing a different angle to the comic-book superhero movies.

Zoolander 2

Another recently released film. Oh man, why did Ben Stiller had to destroy Zoolander's legacy.

Captain America: Civil War

I actually have VERY HIGH hopes on this one. Director Anthony Russo has a high profile credit resume on TV sitcoms, and bringing him as the entire responsible to connect phase two with phase three in the MCU is a huge weight to hold on his shoulders. With a cast that has already demonstrated great chemistry, it is possible that this film will serve as the perfect prelude for The infinity war.

Ghostbusters

Was supposed to be released in 2015, but got pushed to 2016. I still have low hopes on this one.

Allegiant

This movie will be worse than its predecesor, Divergent

Please don't mess this up!!
Doctor Strange

They better make this film good. Unfortunately, I don't think they will. Nothing about it so far suggests it will be a good movie. The director is mediocre, the plot seems pretty bad, and the cast is ... well... let's move on. I hope I'm wrong on this one.

Jason Bourne

Really?

Airlift

This foreign movie is about the 1990 Iraqi invasion to Kuwait. Normally American films on biographic topics are a little bit biased, and a foreign approach is always a bit more objective and realistic. It reminds me of the german classic, Das Boot. Therefore, I believe this movie should be very good.

The Jungle Book

This film will be good. This is a classic film that deserves an update/reboot, and only Jon Favreau can be trusted with this sort of task.

Inferno

Tom Hanks and Ron Howard once again team up for another profound movie. In Inferno, a man wakes up in a hospital in Florence, Italy, with no idea of what happened to him in the last few days. This kind of smells like a hybrid of the Da Vinci code with Memento. Kind of like a bad smoothie combining pineapple and a pancake with salt syrup.

Now THAT's what I call a close encounter
with a movie that WON'T be good
Independence Day: Resurgence

This movie will not be good. Trust me.

The Legend of Tarzan

The approach to this film seems interesting, which only brings the question on how much a risk is everyone commited to it taking to make such a movie. I have no idea what to say about this one.

Kindergarten Cop 2

Believe it or not, Kindergarten Cop is getting a sequel, more than 25 years later. I know what you're thinking: Is Arnold starring? Well, sadly he isn't, which is kind of weird considering Arnold should be the only one authorized to star in his own sequels. This time it is Agent Reed, played by the most underrated actor in all Hollywood: Dolph Lundgren.

John Wick 2

Is back for more people to kill, after grieving the loss of his dog!

Warcraft

Video game movies have always proven to be a major flop and fraud. Warcraft will be no exception.

Silence

Martin Scorsese's latest addition finds himself working with Lian Neeson and Adam Driver, in a classic 'established actor + up and coming actor' setup of his. It's staged in the seventeenth century, meaning it is one of the few times Martin doesn't set up a movie in current times. More importantly, he tackles the controversial topic of religion. Since Scorsese's well-known for his violent movies, it will be interesting to see if he is bringing a softer side to filmmaking.

Angry Birds Movie

Yep, you read it here first. Angry Birds are getting a movie. Soon we'll see something like Twitter Movie.

HUH !?!?!?!? ---- HAHAHAHAH !! ---
OHHH sorry, the voices !
Suicide Squad

DC Universe's real -and perhaps only- chance to compete toe to toe with Disney's/Marvel's juggernaut money making machines + great films. The cast looks perfect, with Jared Leto bringing a new approach to the Joker character. We haven't seen Ben Affleck as Bat-Man yet, so it's hard to judge how much influence he'll have.

X-Men Apocalypse

This film WILL be good.

Rogue One: Star Wars

Another continuation of Disney destroying the Star Wars universe.

Pwned !!

That's what happens when you don't shoot first!
BEN! Take of that mask ! You don't need it!

-Why !? What do you think will happen if I take it off ?

NOTHING, because you DON'T need it! literally speaking!

-Will you help me?

NO! I'm not an idiot!

-Yes you ARE!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario