jueves, 1 de enero de 2015

Chicago Transit Authority

Growing up as a teenager, one of the greatest discoveries I made at my house was "the vault", which stood for the case where my mom and dad kept all their LP records from their younger years. As my fingers blazed through each one, I kept finding greater and greater products of the musical talents of the 50s, 60s and 70s. One of those talents was the Chicago Transit Authority.

The Chicago Transit Authority Album


This was the first album of a band formed in the late 60s, featuring Peter Cetera, Robert Lamm, Terry Kath, Lee Loughnane, Walter Parazaider and Danny Seraphine. They sounded like no other thing I had heard before; the only thing close to it that came up in my mind was Blood Sweat and Tears, but Chicago was somehow superior in every aspect that could be compared: vocals, lyrics, rythm, melody. The songs were just amazing and mind blowing.

The CTA album begins with an Introduction jamm over 6 minutes long and is immediately followed by similar jewels like Does anybody really know what time it is, Questions 67 and 68 -a song featuring a heavy duet between the air section against the string combo of Cetera and Terry Kath -, Beginnings (my personal favorite) and I'm a man. Further albums by the band included more hits such as 25 or 6 to 4,  Just you 'n' me, Saturday in the park, the beautiful ballad Colour my world and many other hits.


Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is


In 1977 Terry Kath dies in an unfortunate gun accident, and from that point and on Chicago changes its direction. Definitely not for the worse, as I would say, they were smart enough and able to evolve and adapt to the tendency of the industry. The songs became more "ballad-like" and less "rock-jazz like". Quality was still top notch and they were also well perceived on billboard charts. Hard to say I'm sorry, Hard habbit to break, You're my inspiration, Love me tomorrow were some of them.


If you need me now: One of the most beautiful songs of all time.

Cetera leaves the band during the mid 80s and Chicago then became more of a "monster-ballad band", where the hits slowly began to diminish as well as their fame. Despite countless attempts of a reunion, Cetera never got back or toured with the band again.

Chicago is no doubt one of the greatest bands of all time -and I think I can include them in a top 25 countdown-, not only for their unique sound and ability to combine different genres so well. They faced fear competitors in terms of bold and imposing music, in the terms of Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and King Crimson, but they were able to cement their place in a particular spot where they bothered no one and weren't bothered by anyone as well.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario